November 7, 2014
MRCSP is undertaking major outreach efforts this fall. Activities include presentations at a major international CCS conference and the Annual Meeting for research partners and stakeholders in early November. A new project update and a meeting recap will be posted after the Annual Meeting.
The Greenhouse Gas Technology (GHGT) conference is recognized as the leading global conference on CCS technology. The conference is held every other year and this year the twelfth conference, the GHGT-12
, was held in Austin, Texas in October. More than 1,100 delegates attended.
MRCSP Technical Director, Neeraj Gupta of Battelle, was part of a Plenary Panel entitled “Technology Challenges Realized and Accomplishments Gained: U.S. Department of Energy’s Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnerships Large-Scale Projects”. During this session, panelists shared lessons learned from the Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership (RCSP) Initiative. In addition, Neeraj Gupta gave a Poster
entitled Testing for large-scale CO₂-enhanced oil recovery and geologic storage in the Midwestern USA, which presents an overview of the MRCSP large-scale injection test. Other MRCSP posters and presentations presented at GHGT-12 included:
- Using baseline monitoring data to strengthen the geological characterization of a Niagaran Pinnacle Reef
- Reservoir characterization from pressure monitoring during CO₂ injection into a depleted pinnacle reef
- Alternative conceptual geologic models for CO₂ injection in a Niagaran pinnacle reef oil field
- Assessment of CO₂ injectivity and storage capacity in a depleted pinnacle reef oil field
In addition to MRCSP work, Battelle team also presented their research on other CO₂ storage and utilization projects as shown in the list below:
- Lessons learned from the post-injection site care program at the American Electric Power Mountaineer Product Validation Facility
- Reduced Physics Modeling of CO₂ Infectivity
- Investigation of wellbore integrity factors in historical oil and gas wells for CO₂ geosequestration in the Midwestern U.S.
- International collaboration to investigate carbon dioxide storage opportunities for a coal-fired power plant in Sichuan Basin, China
- Estimating CO₂-EOR Potential and Co-sequestration Capacity in Ohio’s Depleted Oil Fields
- Building Statistical Proxy Models for CO₂ Geologic Sequestration